At Tori's parent-teacher conference this fall, Tori's teacher, Mr. Anyan, had pretty wonderful things to say about Tori. Not surprising. :) The only concern he had was that Tori doesn't seem to branch out as far as her choices of reading material. She tends to stick to non-fiction science books and it's a struggle to get her to find novels she enjoys. This had also been a concern for me, but I was running out of books featuring a furry creature as the main character (the only novels she'd been willing to read to that point).
He suggested organizing a book club for Tori and her friends, which I thought was a fantastic idea! It doesn't take much to convince me that a book club is a worthwhile endeavor...books PLUS socializing?? Yes please! :) I love my own book club and was excited at the idea of starting one for Tori. With the craziness of the holidays, we decided to wait until January to get going. The other moms I contacted were enthusiastic and we ended up getting a pretty good sized group of girls.
For the first month, Tori and I hosted. I gave her a few options for book choice, and she chose "The Giver" by Lois Lowry. I like to try to tie the refreshments to the book whenever possible, but with "The Giver" there weren't too many options, so I just let Tori choose what she wanted to do. With the help of Pinterest (one of her new loves in life), Tori chose mini fruit pizzas and grape kebab caterpillars. I was so focused on helping Tori host that I forgot to take pictures of the girls. :( Most of the girls showed up - Jane Romney, Annie Fox, Lilly Brunt, Shaylie Freeman, and Elise Daines. I let Tori lead the discussion and play hostess, so it was a good learning experience for her in many ways.
Here are a few pictures I remembered to take while Tori was putting fruit pizzas together:
No comments:
Post a Comment