Saturday, September 11, 2010

First Day of School

One of the changes that comes with our new adventure is that Tori gets to switch from homeschooling to public school. When we began homeschooling, it was because our options as far as public schools went were pretty dismal in Seattle. As we continued with it for two years, we all really fell in love with it and saw many benefits that came from it. However, being back in Spokane made us reevaluate Tori's education, and we decided that public school was probably a better choice for her here. Living at Grandma and Grandpa's house, we are on 25 acres of land, and Tori doesn't have a lot of neighbors to play with every day like she did in Seattle. Granted, she has cousins coming and going frequently, but Tori has always had high social needs, and really needs interaction with friends daily or she pretty much wilts and withers. Not a pretty sight. Also, homeschooling took a ton of emotional and mental energy on my behalf, and with all of the changes going on right now I quite honestly just didn't have it to give. So. Long story short, Tori started school this week! While we're both sad about giving up the time together and the freedom that homeschooling provided, Tori is very excited about going to school. She has a WONDERFUL teacher (Mrs. Radmaker), and even gets to be in the same class as her cousin Damon. Riding the bus is a new adventure for her (I still watch from the window every day to make sure she gets on the bus okay even though it picks her up at the bottom of the driveway...pathetic, I know.). After her first day of school, I met her at the bus and asked her how her first day went. "Great!" she answered. "Did you meet lots of friends?" "Uh-huh...and I saw lots of CUTE BOYS too!" Hmmm...I'm supposed to have another few years before that starts, right? RIGHT??? Oh well...Todd's already started polishing the shotguns. Yes, plural.


All ready in her new favorite outfit.




Strike a pose!


Pretty in Pink! Lunch, check. Backpack, check. Raincoat, check. Mom in tears, trying to focus on taking pictures, check.






Aaron and Campbell walking with us to the bus.


The bus driver thought I was crazy for sure. He's probably not too far off base. :)


This picture broke my heart. Thankfully, she told me that she really liked the bus and made friends quickly...I just caught a sad face. :(


Bye, Bye, Baby Girl.

No comments: